[lit-ideas] Re: Dark Thoughts on Iraq

  • From: "Mike Geary" <atlas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 1 Oct 2005 02:03:13 -0500

AA:

Whether or not Frost was being sarcastic is interesting but irrelevant to
this discussion, since I didn't have him in mind when I quoted it. Good
fences do make good neighbors. If you think otherwise, some explanation or
example of why you think so would be appreciated.

Well, were I of the sort, ahem, I'd say: "In the words of the grossly overrated Robert Frost:

     'Before I built a wall I'd ask to know
     What I was walling in or walling out,
     And to whom I was like to give offence.'"

Is it just a coincidence that Elvis is an acronym of 'lives' and "lives" is an acronym of evils? I think not. Is it just an accident of language that 'offence' is made up of the two words "of fence"? Obviously not. Just scratch the surface, man, you'll find deeper meanings everywhere. Ah, for the good old days when you could walk from Kansas City to Sacramento and never have to climb a fence or hear an Austrian accent. And though they might indeed have some crazy little women in Kansas City, I'm going to keep on walking. Why? you ask. Because on this side of the Sierra Nevadas (and Cascades, thank you), people want you to explain why you think the things you do. As though I knew. Sooner explain why existence. On the Left Coast, people gave up on thought 40 years ago. Thank God. Why do I think that otherwise than that "good fences make good neighbors" ? Why? Because the structure and evolution of the universe has brought me to that conclusion -- why else? Do you seriously think I'm responsible for my thoughts? Foolish man. I think what the universe tells me to. As do you. As do we all. When all is said and done, it's time to get a gun, or so the song goes. Watch the Wildlife Cam. They don't go about wondering why they prefer Pete's Pond to the Limpopo River. I think I could turn and live with animals. Uh oh, time to go. Whitman's worse than Frost.

     Mike Geary
     Memphis