[lit-ideas] Re: Cook's Tour (4)

  • From: Paul Stone <pas@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 09 Aug 2006 13:43:06 -0400

(I said "sends" re the US, "supplies" re the UK, which *sells*
arms to Israel.  I assume it is "the US" not some private arms
company.  "Loaded", I didn't see it as loaded at all.  Frankly.)

I didn't know how to put it any clearer, but I'll try again.

If an article says "the us is supplying israel with weapons" it could mean that they are GIVING them, by using tax-payers money to buy weapons from US arms dealers and then shipping them to israel free of charge OR it could mean that they are just shipping them weapons (therefore being the original place shipment) that they (Israel) has paid for. This is where I find a trouble with the word "supplying" because I've seen it used both ways and so many times that I no longer know which is which. I think there is a BIG difference between selling weapons -- a legitimate business deal -- and GIVING weapons -- an obvious political maneuver. That's all I meant. And, in the case of Israel, it's probably both which is even more problematic.

not understanding a thing today,

Paul Stone
pas@xxxxxxxx
Kingsville, ON, Canada