[lit-ideas] Re: Cook's Tour (5), the final segment

  • From: Omar Kusturica <omarkusto@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 9 Aug 2006 10:33:22 -0700 (PDT)

Lawrence,

My reply to your earlier post was overly snappy, I was
in a bad mood and I apologize. On the other hand, I
may not have reacted that way if you had not prefaced
your post with another remark about "Leftists siding
with militant Islam," or something to that effect.
Even people sympathetic to your general views have
advised you that this kind of ad hominem arguments and
sweeping generalizations are not helpful. Also,
expressing "admiration" for Israel is surely not an
example of reasoned argument.

I haven't got the time now to go through your whole
discussion. Cook has been reporting and writing on the
Israeli-Palestinian conflict for many years and that
is how I know that he is indeed very well-informed.
(Speaks both Hebrew and Arabic, I believe.) It may be
that he considers some things to be well-known to his
readers, perhaps from his earlier articles, and hence
doesn't feel that they should be documented. Certainly
the fact of the US diplomatic, military and financial
support to Israel is something well-known to even a
causal reader of the press. As to the Iranian-Hezbolah
connection, I don't think that he means to say that it
is non-existent but that it has been overblown. He
seems to think that Hezbollah's actions are much more
motivated by Lebanon's internal situation - I think
that he means especially the marginalization of the
Lebanese Shiites vis a vis the Sunni dominated
government - as well as by the Palestinian issue. This
makes sense to me since, after all, the Hezbollah
operates within Lebanon and most or all of its members
today are Lebanese. Let's not forget also that Lebanon
has a significant Palestinian refugee population and
that Palestine has always been a very important issue
for them. I think that Cook is also suggesting that
the Hezbollah really wanted and expected a prisoners'
swap instead of a major escalation. I have to stop
here for now, I may respond to some other points
later.

O.K.

http://mail.yahoo.com