[lit-ideas] Complexity, was Hitchens Arguably on John Brown

  • From: Andy <mimi.erva@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 19 Oct 2011 05:14:02 -0700 (PDT)

I agree with you.  Complexity is good only up to a point.  Over a certain
fairly low level, complexity begins to be complicated and counterproductive.
Our society, for example, is way too complex and fragile.  We're way too
specialized.  Our whole system is based on just-in-time.  Today each of us
knows how to do basically one thing: write books, fix cars, teach school,
crunch numbers, do surgery, whatever it is, and that's all we know how to do,
which we exchange for this symbolic thing called money which we then exchange
for our necessities that are produced by this very complex system.  Our limited
skills make us absolutely dependent on the system working as a whole.  If
something goes wrong in that system, our umbilical cord to our necessities is
damaged or even broken.  However, that farmer in 1940's Idaho can survive quite
nicely because his umbilical cord is much less fragile.  Ironically, the level
of complexity that brings
 happiness is in terms of U.S. dollars is about $13,000 (three zeros).  Above
that, complexity begins to be counterproductive.

Andy