[lit-ideas] Re: Colloquial Russian: Nyet!

  • From: "Andy Amago" <aamago@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 7 Feb 2006 16:31:22 -0500

In all my life, I have never heard the expression, "How's it hanging?"
Hanging in there, hanging out, hanging around, let's hang, but never how's
it hanging?  I admit to not being on top of slang, but how's it hanging
doesn't even sound English.  So, Robert Paul, how's it hanging?  I mean
your macrame potted plant.  (That's how it would translate into Russian, it
would make no sense at all.)  Maybe Andreas heard how's it hanging, hanging
as he does in California, which always starts the trends, the ones that
don't start in NYC.

Were a
> Russian to ask the latter question, (s)he would say: "Kak eto byecit?" Of
> course, no Russian would understand the colloquialism embedded in that
> expression, unless (s)he had satellite TV and could access Seinfeld.
(We're a