[lit-ideas] Re: Colloquial Russian: Nyet!

  • From: wokshevs@xxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 7 Feb 2006 17:34:28 -0330

"Kak dsela?" is nowhere near the American expression "How's it hanging?" Were a
Russian to ask the latter question, (s)he would say: "Kak eto byecit?" Of
course, no Russian would understand the colloquialism embedded in that
expression, unless (s)he had satellite TV and could access Seinfeld. (We're a
hopelessly romantic people, but our sexual imageries are typically subdued by a
sublime/transcendental sense of propriety and good taste.)

Vladimir Gavrilov Mihaylovitch Okshevsky
Minsk School of Translation Services And Food Preparation