[lit-ideas] Re: Coffee Beans: the Philosopher's Stone?

  • From: Eric Yost <eyost1132@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 21 Jun 2006 13:54:56 -0400

Coffee is being credited with the ability to fight everything from heart disease to cancer, making it something of an unlikely health tonic.
http://living.scotsman.com/index.cfm?id=895992006

I didn't believe it at first, but was slowly convinced by mounting evidence. Now it seems almost axiomatic...something about the structure of paradigm shifts? I'm too jittery to say.

What I can say--and I totally believe this--is that one coffee tree yields just under a pound of coffee each year. This seems rather sluggish and nonproductive to me. Perhaps we should find a way to give coffee trees coffee? It would be better than giving them tea. Or would that be like some form of botanical cannibalism?

Besides being jittery and poorly-rested, I'm extremely impatient and talkative. It's easy to imagine myself standing before a coffee tree, pouring freshly brewed French Roast onto its base, muttering, "Grow! Grow! Yield more coffee! Grow already! Come on, come on, come on!

Still open to persuasion,
Eric