[lit-ideas] Re: Big Army versus Special Forces

  • From: "Mike Geary" <atlas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 29 Dec 2006 10:02:45 -0600

SC:
Simple country
muppets, trained, perhaps, but "hired killers?" yes, I suppose, in the
technical sense but in reality, pawns.

Was my post a bit over the top? Yes. Sorry. I get that way at 2 in the morning after a few beers. But in my defense, Special Forces are not your typical grunts. Those SF boys get a kick out of killing. How do I know? Pure blind prejudice. My Virgilian guide through life. One look at them and I see lethal pre-pubescent boys. However, I suppose it's good that there's a military to channel their sociopathology. To any who have sons or daughters or loved ones in the Special Forces, I apologize, my scurrilous attacks are not against them, but those others. And if I ever come to know a SF person in person, I might have to change my religion, but until then....

Honor is difficult one. The word doesn't seem to have any definite meaning: esteem, reputation, respect, recognition, distinction, rank, ethical conduct, integrity. The easiest of the ten commandments is Honor your father and mother. Ole Yaweh didn't say: "take care of the geezers when they're too old to care for themselves", and thank God for that. Sure, I honor my parents. Who doesn't honor their parents? Honor is our middle name.

But if by 'honor' you mean behaving ethically because it's the ethical thing to do, then I honor that honor. But I don't think that's what most people mean. I think they mean respect and reputation. The stuff of adolescents.

Mike Geary
Memphis

----- Original Message ----- From: "Steve Chilson" <stevechilson@xxxxxxxxxxx>