[lit-ideas] Re: Beyond Belief

  • From: John McCreery <mccreery@xxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 23 Aug 2004 16:39:32 +0900

>    It is absurd;  therefore, I believe it.

Is this not the active principle behind most fantasy and science
fiction--not to mention medieval maps with edges marked "Here be
monsters"?

On a more mundane plane, that inability to conceive is no proof of
non-existence can be easily demonstrated by anyone who travels to
exotic destinations. I recall vividly coming back from Taiwan and
showing my slides to a physicist/photographer friend to whom I had
written frequently about my research on Chinese rituals. His response
on seeing the slides was, "This is nothing like what I'd imagined." The
world is full of things, I suggest, that, without the presence of the
object itself can only be conceived very crudely if at all, the
specifics lying far outside of what people from other places take to be
common sense.

John L. McCreery
The Word Works, Ltd.
55-13-202 Miyagaya, Nishi-ku