[lit-ideas] Re: Beyond Belief

  • From: Michael Chase <goya@xxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 23 Aug 2004 10:49:09 -0700

Le 22 ao=FBt 04, =E0 19:41, Mike Geary a =E9crit :

> As a matter of fact, I've just started reading _Beyond Belief_ by =20
> Elaine
> Pagels.  Interesting book.  I just finished her _Gnostic Gospels_.  =20=

> She's a
> very readable historian of religion.  Having accepted the fact that
> Christianity is probably not going to go away anytime soon, I've =20
> decided to
> try to reach some accomodation with it,  you know, find out where it =20=

> came
> from, what it wants, and how it evolved into the thing it is today.  I =
=20
> find
> Pagels very enlightening.   Has anyone else read her?

M.C. Yup. She's another one of that rare breed, the genuine scholar who =20=

can write well for a popular audience. When I first read the Gnostic =20
Gospels many moons ago, inspired me to study everything I could get my =20=

hands on the subject. The interest still persist, although I seem to =20
recall that she presents the Gnostics as femininists *avant la lettre*, =20=

whereas in fact most of them were, it seems to me, pretty misogynistic.

        Another good book is Pagels' Adam, Eve and the Serpent. By the =
way, =20
her husband Heinz Pagels is a well-known physicist. Their dinner =20
conversations must be interesting.

> Mike Geary
> Memphis

Michael Chase