[lit-ideas] Re: Beyond Belief

  • From: Robert.Paul@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx (Robert Paul)
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: 22 Aug 2004 23:55:54 PDT

>A connection can be made here with the topic of inconceivability.

>It was that Father of the Church who said (in Latin)

           It is absurd;  therefore, I believe it.

>(He was referring to either Jesus's resurrection or to the Immaculate
Conception (or both).

>On another accounts of his dictum, it comes out as:

          >I believe in it, and  I believe in it (if you ask me)
          >_because_ [Latin  *quia*] it's absurd.

>But I prefer the former wording since the grammar (and logic) of 'quia' is
tricky (hardly conditional).

It was Tertullian who said 'Natus est Dei Filius: non pudet quia pudendum est;
et mortuus est Dei Filius: prorsus credibile est, quia ineptum est; et sepultus
resurrexit: certum est, quia impossibile.' [de Carne Christi 5] 'Certum est,
quia impossibile est' is often extracted and misquoted as 'Credo quia
impossibile.'

Robert Paul
Editor, Mutton Dictionary of Lost Quotations
Mutton College