[lit-ideas] Re: Beg to differ, say, about fractals

  • From: Donal McEvoy <donalmcevoyuk@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 22 Oct 2010 16:31:47 +0100 (BST)

--- On Wed, 20/10/10, Richard Henninge <RichardHenninge@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> What's this I hear about fractals
> describing nature? If fractals describe anything, what it
> describes is on the Kantian "this side" of nature. Fractals
> are just fancy grammatical and syntactical constructions.
> Fractals can only be created by computers, hence by us,
> nothing outside of us.

The last sentence is either (a) incoherent or (b) badly expressed:-
it is (a) if taken to assert only computers create fractals but then not only
computers but "hence...us";
it is (b) if taken to assert that we can only create fractals via some kind of
computer programme (this is what I take Richard to mean.

Both (a) and (b) obscure that the role of a computer in creating fractals is
akin than the role of pencil and paper in creating Einstein's theories ["My
pencil is bigger than I am" - Einstein]. The computer does what a human agent
programmes it to do - it is a glorified instrument but does not create outside
of what it is programmed to create and is helpless without a programme and thus
a programmer. Hence, the creation of fractals by humans must logically precede
any creation of fractals by computers.

This is not in itself decisive as to whether the fractal is merely a (more or
less) useful descriptive instrument or a descriptive instrument that may
accurately describe what is 'out there'.

We may say there was no number system on earth before humans invented one. This
would not mean such a number system could not apply to what is 'out there'.

Consider two number systems:- (a) '1, 2, 3, 5, more than 5'; and (b) '1, 2, 3,
4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, more than 10'. The farmer with exactly 8 cows using
(a)can truthfully say he has 'more than 5' cows; and using (b) can truthfully
say he has exactly 8 cows. Without the man-made invention of a number system he
could say neither, but that does not mean the invention cannot be used to
describe what is 'out there'. A farmer with 8 cows but no counting-system would
still have 8 cows; this fact is true by virtue of what is 'out there'
irrespective of whether he has the means to express or know this fact. A
farmerless field with exactly 8 cows in it also has 8 cows in it - no more, no
less - irrespective of whether humans or any other creature have a number
system to say so.

This is not to assert that fractals are (in their application to what is 'out
there') identical to or exactly analogous to the sequence of natural numbers -
particularly where fractals are taken to describe physical properties [that a
cow is one of 8 is obviously not a physical property of a cow]. But it
indicates that just because a method of description is, in some sense, a human
invention [with or without the aid of computers], does not necessarily preclude
its application to what is 'out there' independent of human invention and of
the means we have developed to describe what is 'out there'.

Richard asserts: "If fractals describe anything, what it describes is on the
Kantian "this side" of nature." This raises the question of what on "this side"
a fractal describes? Surely we are not being asked to accept that what it
describes on "this side" is simply what means of description it itself
constitutes for us on "this side"? For one, a description can hardly be assumed
to be a description of itself qua description. For two, that the description
emerged from "this side" would not mean it could not apply to what is beyond
"this side" - the general development of human language can hardly be
understood without understanding that it is driven by its usefulness in
grappling with what lies beyond "this side".

Donal
Not Dark Yet
London