[lit-ideas] Re: Beg to differ, say, about fractals

  • From: Robert Paul <rpaul@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 15 Dec 2010 22:12:36 -0800

I wrote

'This doesn't mean that when we speak Euclidean we're making contingent statements about purely mathematical forms.'

I still believe this, but this is closer to what I meant.

'This doesn't mean that when we learn plane geometry we are constrained by the illustrative diagrams in textbooks, so that in talking Euclidean we're only making
contingent statements about marks on a page.'

RP