[lit-ideas] Re: Applied Philosophy

  • From: Andy <mimi.erva@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 8 May 2008 08:15:24 -0700 (PDT)

We agree.  Inert is a perfect word, reason is truly a fair weather friend, and
even in fair weather it's usually found lying in the hammock under a tree
outside while the emotions, often if not usually driven by unconscious
imperatives that are established in childhood, wreak havoc inside.  Humans do
act with purpose but the purpose is often unreasonable and implemented blindly.
 Case in point, and given that my emotional brain never strays far from peak
oil, I will use that as an example.

I learned that Shell (probably among others but I only read Shell) back in the
1950's actively suppressed the work of M.King Hubbert, who accurately predicted
America's peak in the early 70's and the world's peak in the 90's.  His
prediction was postponed because of the conservation in the 70's.  The point
is, they were purposefully blind in suppressing information that would have
allowed the world to make changes.  Their piggy minds saw profits; profits as
end all and be all are on the emotional side of the ledger.  The scenario
replayed itself for climate change, with ExxonMobil leading in the
(paraphrasing Alan Greenspan) irrational anti-global warming exuberance.  CEO's
are proud owners of yeast brains, just like everybody else.  Imagine that.

On that note, I want to say, my birds are back!  They're only back on the one
side of the house but at least one family is back.  My emotional brain is so
happy about that.  Unfortunately  my reasoning brain says they make a mess, and
my emotional brain says, you're useless what do you know, and we start
quarreling about it ...