[lit-ideas] Re: Applied Philosophy

  • From: Andy <mimi.erva@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 7 May 2008 12:04:50 -0700 (PDT)

I want to say that I don't in any way want to
undervalue the accomplishments of philosophy.
Philosophers have performed amazing feats of
intellect.  Philosophy predated a lot of science and
has attempted to answer and sometimes answered
profound questions.

The problem as I see it is that nature developed the
emotional brain first and added the intellectual brain
as an afterthought.  There is no way philosophy per se
can overcome emotions.  The two parts of the brain are
evolutionarily separate and distinct, with the
emotional brain prevailing, not even by philosophers.

Nature pulled another fast one by making reproduction
seem so easy that anyone can plunk out a kid and the
job is done, when in fact that seeming ease is the
root of all the fear, neediness and anger that slams
the human species from pillar to post and back again.

Philosophers can't do the impossible, which is
overrule nature, however much they are among the only
ones to use that profoundly beautiful afterthought
that nature gave all of us.

Also, reading War and Peace in Russian might sound
impressive, but it's really a lot easier than reading
the news in Russian.  Russian has a different style
that it uses for journalism, while Tolstoy writes in a
conversational, readable style.  He's actually not
hard to read at all.  Not quite Hemingway, but
certainly not Henry James.  Just thought I'd mention
it.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/worldservice/aboutus/2008/05/080501_philospophy_streets.shtml