[lit-ideas] Re: Applied Philosophy

  • From: Andy <mimi.erva@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 7 May 2008 08:40:40 -0700 (PDT)

Or even philosophers don't know what to do with their
emotions.  I'm in between books right now, so I picked
up, in Russian, War and Peace.  Sometime in the year
2065 I'll finish it, but right now I'm at the section
in the beginning where Dagolov throws out a bet that
he can drink an entire bottle of rum in one shot while
sitting on a sloping third story window ledge, and I'm
thinking to myself, am I getting old or what?  With
all the possible accomplishments in the world, he
picks this one?  I hope Tolstoy is making a point
about youth being wasted on the young or some such
thing.

Likewise, I'm disappointed that with philosophers
ostensibly at the helm, they would have gotten
together and been a bit more rational.  Or maybe they
were and nobody listened, which of course nobody ever
would listen.  Like with Carter, they'd just vote 'em
out and start a war.

Maybe in year 2065 I'll find out what, if any, point
Tolstoy is making.  He seems to draw male characters a
bit more fully than female characters, but I just
started it, so I really can't say.  Pierre is one
vapid guy at the moment.  Netflix doesn't have the
4-part book made into movie.  Not enough interest.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/worldservice/aboutus/2008/05/080501_philospophy_streets.shtml