[lit-ideas] Re: America's Greatest Word

  • From: Jlsperanza@xxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 31 Jan 2011 15:14:49 EST

In a message dated 1/31/2011 5:03:57  P.M., donalmcevoyuk@xxxxxxxxxxx
writes:
This independence from 'precision' is  why it is not precisely correct to
suggest I had Tarski in mind.

I was referring to McEvoy, when he wrote:

"the concept of 'ok' is arguably not a very precise one
... usually conveying a meaning that achieves only ok levels of  precision"

This appeal to the meta-language in the object-language _IS_ Tarskian to
the backbone. Davidson's disquotational view (of truth, or "OK") is a chip
from  the old block:

"OK" is ok

"Snow is white" is OK iff snow is white.

----

"OK" is a concept in the object-language. If we say ""OK" is OK" we are
using, in the predicate, "OK" metalinguistically.

To say that "OK" "conveys a meaning that achieves only OK levels of
precision" involves a liar-type paradox:

(OK) OK is OK

cfr.

(S) S is true

Etc.