[lit-ideas] Re: Al Quaeda and Suitcase Nukes

  • From: Eric Yost <eyost1132@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 24 Jan 2006 15:00:42 -0500

From the Wiki article:

>"Both the USA and the USSR manufactured nuclear weapons small enough to fit into large backpacks during the Cold War, but neither have ever made public the existence or development of weapons small enough to fit into a suitcase."

The backpack nukes mentioned above are what my ex-military friend referred to, calling them--as I said in my post--"backpack nukes."

>"The smallest nuclear warhead manufactured by the USA was the W54, used for the Davy Crockett warhead which could be fired from a 120 mm recoilless rifle, and a backpack version called the Mk-54 SADM (Small Atomic Demolition Munition)."

This is what Teemu thought I was referring to. It is not what I was referring to. The backpack nukes intended to counter a Soviet advance through the Fulda Gap were much too large to be fired from a recoilless rifle.