[lit-ideas] Re: A project for Lit-Ideas

  • From: Andy Amago <aamago@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 20 Jan 2005 23:37:44 -0500 (GMT-05:00)

-----Original Message-----
From: John Wager <johnwager@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Jan 20, 2005 4:37 PM
To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [lit-ideas] Re: A project for Lit-Ideas

Back in the Reagan era, I had a proposal for the NEH ("National
Something for the Humanities") to teach Aristotle to those on welfare. I
figured that this would cut down on violence and resentment, showing
those who valued material posessions over human development that one
could still develop without the material success required for
middle-class status. But I got scared: It started to sound too
attractive and might have actually been funded. So I'm poor and pure.

A.A. I'm about half way through Will in the World (reading time is so limited).
 One of the chapters I just finished is on the contemporaries of Shakespeare,
i.e., Marlowe, Nashe, and others.  One striking feature about these men is what
incredible low lifes they were.  That chapter reminded me in fact of rappers:
hanging out in bars, brawling in bars, dying in bars, intensely jealous of each
other, dying young and often violently and on and on.  The comparison is
imperfect but not entirely without merit I think.

Andy Amago