[lit-ideas] Re: A gift to the List on this Christmas Day

  • From: "Judith Evans" <judith.evans001@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 27 Dec 2008 20:20:14 -0000

Now why does Judith ask THAT question instead of >"Onora knows you?"

Because you were the one who used a first name. Of course you could know her, that is, have met her and also feel able to call her by her first name. But as I suspected, you were simply following your usual rather sexist 'call a woman by her first name' habit, as in 'Hannah' for '(Hannah) Arendt'.

You won't be surprised to know I've met Onora O'Neill and know/have known various people who know her well, but were I writing about her here I would of course say 'Onora O'Neill' (unless in context, O'Neill sufficed), just as I would say "Brian Barry"/Barry. (E.g..)

----- Original Message ----- From: <wokshevs@xxxxxx>