[lit-ideas] Re: A gift to the List on this Christmas Day

  • From: wokshevs@xxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, Judith Evans <judith.evans001@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 26 Dec 2008 17:08:52 -0330

And one from me via Onora on why being a Scrooge is not universalizable:

"Those who make indifference or neglect [of others] an inclusive principle are
committed not to help or to care for any others within the domain of ethical
consideration to which they are committed. They could think of their principles
of indifference and neglect as universalizable only if indifference and neglect
could be inclusive principles for all. Yet no vulnerable agent can coherently
accept that indifference and neglect should be universalized, for if they were
nobody could rely on others' help; joint projects would tend to fail;
vulnerable characters would be undermined; capacities and capabilities that
need assistance and nurturing would not emerge; personal relationships would
wither; education and cultural life would decline. It follows that those with
plans and projects, even of the most minimal sort, cannot regard indifference
and neglect as universalizable."

Onora O'Neill, *Towards justice and virtue: a constructive account of practical
reasoning*, p.194

Just a niggling remark. Onora incorrectly writes "should be universalized" in
her third sentence. She of course wants: "could be universalized." Her final
sentence has "cannot regard" as it should be. From the "cannot" of the
conclusion, which establishes the non-universalizability of maxims of neglect
and indifference, we may validly conclude that human agents indeed should not
(better: "ought not") regard such maxims as morally permissible.

May comfort and joy accompany all your T and sub-lunary acts of turkey,
Glenlivet and nurturing your own and others' talents.

(But just remember: "No good deed goes unpunished.")

Thus endeth the lesson.

Cheers, Walter