[lit-ideas] Re: A Prescription for Peace

  • From: Eric Yost <eyost1132@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 21 Nov 2006 00:43:10 -0500

Julie quotes: ...  we have, through the  power
of propaganda, chosen to domesticate our youth, deciding that it is preferable that they become flag-waving patriots, loyalists, apologists chauvinistically pledging their allegiance to the Fatherland.

He's right. It's so much better to arrive at a patriotic, nationalist, hypermilitant position through reading, thought, and reflection. [ironic emoticon omitted]

Soderstrom also does not examine the other attitudes we are all spoonfed daily. This covert propaganda only serves the interest of the dictatorship of global capitalism and their major shareholders. To even question some of the covert values is considered a mark of fanaticism.

For example, "diversity is good" or "diversity is strength." Sounds laudable, but where's the evidence? Seems like diversity could be either good or bad. Good diversity = social tolerance and liberality; bad diversity = fragmentation, alienation, and civil war.

Apropos of the quasi-religious cant of diversity: in an outsourcing move, an editor friend and her colleagues were just laid off at McGraw-Hill. The termination paperwork came in a package with a nice glossy cover that read, "Diversity is what we all have in common." How's that for mind-boggling Orwellian Newspeak? To share diversity (itself a group trait) with a group, would mean we would have to be diverse to ourselves.