[lit-ideas] Re: A Fine Distinction

  • From: Jlsperanza@xxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 26 Dec 2007 21:07:38 EST

Been doing some research, and it seems to me that John Blacking, or the  late
John Blacking as the case is, has or had the right credentials. Born in the
right side of Watford (Surrey, Guildford, to be more specific) he went to the
right schools and loved them. He writes in an early criticism to J.
Fernandez:

"rather as an Englishman might use his school tie or the family  crest"
"It is, however, nonsense to imply, as [Fernandez] does, that ..."

(1964).

The quote in the OED under 'nice' is from his (1974) commentary.

I've re-read Blacking's notes and his rhetoric is indeed difficult, for  me.

He says the distinction is 'nice' (among [sorry]: self-sacrifice, suicide,
and martyrdom"

but ... bla bla bla.

The implication is that the distinction is too nice (or as I prefer, not
'ce' (i.e. not scius -- cf. ne-scius).

I would think we don't have to buy his theory as to why he thinks the
distinction 'nice' (i.e. 'bad').

For we are free agents, and can think of our own reasons.

Blacking seems to be wanting to say -- however, apparently his thoughts on
this did not make it -- that there is a core kernel in the three 'concepts'.
And  sure there is:

         Isola killer  herself.
         Isola took her life.
         Isola self-sacrificed (or,  to please Palma, "Isola sacrificed
Isola")
         Isola martyrised  Isola.
               and
         Isola commited  suicide

------

Personally, I'm not that interested in the whole gamut of conceptry (cf.
imagery) for death. I'll restrict my comments to the Graeco-Romans and to Geary

(I don't do Hindu ethnomethodology).

I do, however, Loeb.

Suicide was pretty basic in the Greek scheme. I believe the inventor of it
was Ajax, and there's sculptures (or andreai, as I prefer, i.e. statues) to
memorise that -- showing Ajax stabbing himself.

I believe he was heroic doing that, but that requires a bit of exploration
in his 'biographical criticism'. He was totally disappointed by the outcome of
the proceedings where he did not get the armour by Achilles that he so
thoroughly deserved over that wise, clever, Odysseus. (Cfr. Sophocles).

--- I wouldn't call him a 'martyr', though, or having displayed
self-sacrifice. It was a simple 'suicide' (he killed himself).

"Martyr" is a trick of a word. Thinking that Blacking was a Catholic -- but
how, living in Belfast? -- I now see his very C. of E. and I'm not interested
in  elaborating the Catholic imagery, or the Anglican for that matter. But I'm
 reminded of that andreia just opposite Grice's college at Oxford, St.
John's,  The Martyrs Memorial -- it looked pretty pretty, but the story behind
it
may be  macabre for a Catholic. I'm not sure how the Greeks or why used
'martyr', never  mind the '-dom'. Personally, I cannot think of a Greek martyr.
Perhaps Orpheus,  when killed when he displayed he prefer his own to the female
weaker, fairer  sex. Perhaps Ikaros, who was the victim of his father's stupid
advice, "Follow  the sun, my lad". Perhaps Ganymede, Iacynthos, or Narkyssos.
But
'martyr' has  attached itself with so many conventional-implicatures that I
would make to make  'conversational' and detach, but don't know if I care or
can.

Finally, 'sacrifice' and 'self-sacrifice' is possibly a biased, wrong word,
invented by the Romans (pro-fanum vs. sacer). It's too theological to be
related  to hero-ship of the type where we would accept 'suicide'.

In any case, 'suicide' is _illegal_ and today, Ajax would have been sued  for
having killed himself.

There must be other cases of Hellene suicide. Advices welcome.

And then we can see if we can apply the category of 'martyr' or
'self-sacrifice'. Even in battle, 'self-sacrifice' versus gratuitious
'martyrdom' (or
self-appointed, self-labelled 'martyrdom') or 'suicide' (with  the implication
of
'cowardy' that has attached since the Romantic blame) should  have to be
proved as such. Usually, the self-sacrificed will have little to  _say_ or
'imply'. So it boils down to our _deeming_ him to have self-sacrificed  or not.

I am reminded of the hymn which was a favourite with Diana, Princess of
Wales, and was played at her funeral, "I vow to thee my country". The first
stanza is my favourite, and indeed mentions the 'final sacrifice' -- but
replace
it by 'martyrdom' or 'suicide' and get the name eroded from the roll of honour
at Eton!

_http://www.ensignmessage.com/archives/finalsacrifice.html_
(http://www.ensignmessage.com/archives/finalsacrifice.html)

"The first  verse provides us with a marvellous explanation of what
patriotism has always  been - "The love that asks no question, the love that
stands
the test, that lays upon the altar, the dearest and the best. The love  that
never falters, the love that pays the price, the love that makes undaunted,
the
final sacrifice" There is no reference here to racial supremacy  or any
Nietzschean concept of the Super Man. I find it particularly galling that  the
Bishop should express his views, when at the same time (August 14th); two
British
soldiers were killed by terrorist actions in Iraq. In fact, sixty-four
soldiers have died in combat there since March 2003. The hymn was written in
1918,
when its author Sir Cecil Spring-Rice and former British Ambassador to the
United States, was reflecting on the casualties suffered by the British Army on

the Western Front."
Cheers,

JL

----