[lit-ideas] Re: A Fine Distinction

  • From: Jlsperanza@xxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 25 Dec 2007 22:57:17 EST

A brief ps, and I'm glad it snowed in Portland.

-------

I referred to 'a fine distinction'.

As we recall, the phrase occurs (slightly modified) in the OED for  'fine' --
i.e. not "a fine distinction" but "fine distinction" (slight  distinctions
like that are important when one is googling):

1580 BARET Alv. F544
       A subtile and  fine distinction, distinctio tenuis & acuta.

Then I mention "nice distinction". The quote here perhaps does not  have
philosophical pedigree, but it may interest anthropologist McCreery. It's  from

         1974 Current Anthropol.  15 134
        "There is  a nice distinction between suicide, self-sacrifice, and
martyrdom."

--- I would need  credentials as to origin of author to see what she means!

---- Incidentally,  the other quotes under 'fine' include this rather nice
(if not too refined) one  that may appeal to McEvoy and his bar-friends:

       1885 Law Times LXXIX. 171/2
       "The distinction  between motive and intention is perhaps a little
fine."

Which should make us wonder about collocations of 'fine' in predicative
position, and adverbial modifications like "too" ("perhaps a little TOO fine").

More on this below. For surely, when I wrote of

                 valid/true

as being a 'fine' distinction, I hear Geary say:

       "Fine?! That's gross!

(or "That's a gross one")

But surely, there is a scalar implicature here:

Distinctions are:

         fine (acute)    on one end of the spectrum

         .
         .
         .

         gross             on  the other end of the spectrum.

At present, I'm concerned if the distinction _is_ there, whether 'acute' or
other.

This reminds me of the other example I gave relating to Grice's
"underdog-ma":

                     analytic-synthetic

(Note that philosophers, for googling purposes, use the "-" to mark a
distinction, rather than the "/").

That's surely another _gross_ one, rather than subtle or refined, or nescia
(nice).

But Quine's point was that it was _illegitimate_ (He was a Puritan of
Isle-of-Man stock, and had to keep within the ivory towers of Emerson Hall --
hey
not so tall or ivoryish, if you ask me; and he was given pretty rough  handling
when visiting Grice at St. John's).

In any case, I searched then for the collocation of 'legitimate  distinction'
and came out with one quote by this PAP fellow, who's possibly not  a native
speaker and thus (I'm being 'winkish' towrards Chomsky and his  illegitimate
obsession with the 'incorrigibility of judgement of native speaker  intuition")
to be taken with a pinch of mineral:

1949 A. PAP Elem. Analyt. Philos. vii. 128

      "The only legitimate  distinction between ‘primary’ and ‘secondary’
qualities is that between  measurable qualities..and non-measurable qualities."

---- Perhaps Quine's  position is best understood as claiming that a
distinction is not fine, refined,  subtle, gross, legitimate, too fine, etc.
_per se_
but in terms of what later  Davidson, following Quine, called 'conceptual
scheme'. Within _empiricism_,  there's no need for the analytic-synthetic
distinction, Quine thought. And he  should know, because there he was dancing
the
roundeley in the Wiener Kriese  with Ayer.

However, when Grice  and Strawson, having taken Ayer's _Language, Truth and
Logic_ with more  seriousness than Quine ever cared, read about Quine's
prejudices they seemed to  have thought, "That's _too_ much. We shouldn't
tolerate
that!"

And came out with  some brilliant examples of the 'oligoi' and 'polloi'
uttering things that we can  _legitimately_ distinguish as being either
analytic or
synthetic.

Quaestio subtilissima: can a chimera eat infinite intentions? How many
angels can sit on the point of a needle? Can you have a pain in your tail.
Perhaps
we should have a Quaestio Subtilissima Contestio for the New Year.

Cheers,

J. L.  Speranza
     Buenos Aires, Argentina.