[lit-ideas] Re: A Cavalier Attitude to Life

  • From: Jlsperanza@xxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 6 Oct 2009 00:25:36 EDT

My third and last today.

Thanks to Sue Trevor for  the info. I find there are three types of FGM
(Female Genital mutilation).

-- as per below, from an  online link.

It may be interesting to  consider 'cavalier' as applied to woman. Oddly,
in a bar in Buenos Aires, where

     DAMES     CAVALIERS

written on the doors to toilets indicate the gender ("damas" vs.
"caballeros"), someone crossed out 'cavalier' and wrote "caballo" -- i.e.
horse.

And then, Queen Victoria could not ride a horse.

Of course the reason why cavaliers (i.e. uncuts, in school slang) were
called thus was that their paraphernalic hats do resemble -- in the view of a
roundhead, I presume -- the uncut prepuce.

Etc.

J. L. Speranza
     Bordighera

---  Autor of "Female Genital Mutilation -- and  Hollywood"

1 Sunna  Circumcision - consists of the removal of the prepuce(retractable
fold of skin,  or hood) and /or the tip of the clitoris. Sunna in Arabic
means "tradition".
2 Clitoridectomy -  consists of the removal of the entire clitoris (prepuce
and glands) and the  removal of the adjacent labia.
3 Infibulation(pharonic circumcision)-- consists of performing a
clitoridectomy (removal of all or part of the labia minora, the labia majora).
This
is then stitched up allowing a small hole to remain open to allow for urine
and menstrual blood to flow through.

In a message dated 10/5/2009 9:42:11 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
suettrevor@xxxxxxxxx writes:

What is  the equivalent for a female of circumcised
> versus uncircumcised.

Mutilated vs. unmutilated, Mr.  Speranza.