[lit-ideas] A Cavalier Attitude to Life

  • From: Jlsperanza@xxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 5 Oct 2009 20:44:40 EDT

I'm studying the tenor role in I PURITANI (love to sing him), "Credeasi
misera", Arturo, a noncircumcised (we assume) cavalier.

In the old days, Brits were never circumcised, and called cavaliers
(versus roundheads).

While the opera is called I PURITANI and based on Scott (or other), it's
all about a royal cavalier attitude to life.

What is the equivalent for a female of circumcised versus uncircumcised.
This is, as Geary notes, a "guy thing", and perhaps the lack of an equivalent
in  feminine psychology may explain some.

Cheers,

J. L. Speranza, Latin Lover