[lit-ideas] A Blower

  • From: jlsperanza@xxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 15 Feb 2008 19:28:57 -0500

A plant which blows or blooms. (Cf. bloomer.)

1796
C. MARSHALL Garden. xx. (1813)
402 Biennials and perennials, if late blowers, may yet be
transplanted.

We are discussing the late David Hemming's performance in "Blow Up". Actually,
he (David Hemming) was one of Sir Benjamin Britten's paidophilosophical kids.

Geary:

When I was three and twenty

I heard a hip friend say:

Be sure you go see "Blow Up",

It will blow you away.

----

c897 K. Alfred
Gregory's Past.
xxxvii. 268 Idel wæs se blawere.  1545
Ludlow Churchw. Accts. (1869) 21 To the blower of the organs. 1775
Phil. Trans. LXV. 67 An expert
blower of the German flute.

1933 Brevities 12 Oct. 1
(heading) Sexy sailors blow! Bawdy boys run riot on high
seas as lesbians stir emotions of rollicking rovers. 1941 G. LEGMAN in G. W.
Henry Sex Variants
II. 1158 Blow, the object being the
person, and not the genital organ. 1959
BURROUGHS Naked Lunch 86 ‘Darling, I want
to blow you,’ 1968  J. Updike Couples ii. 148 The bitch won't
blow unless she's really looped. What did the Bard say? To f*ck is human; to be
blown, divine. 1969  P. Roth
Portnoy's Complaint 191 ‘I want
you to come [to my party],’ and so she bl*w me. 1978 M. PUZO Fools Die vi. 82
There was a
whole regiment of floozy Nightingales passing through his hotel room, washing
him, feeding him and, as they tucked him in, blowing him [i.e. his body] to
make sure he was
relaxed enough to get a good night's sleep.

I should say that "Las babas del diablo" would not have attracted the same
crowd.

http://webmail.aol.com