[lit-ideas] Re: The Final Island

  • From: "Mike Geary" <atlas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 15 Feb 2008 16:18:49 -0600

JL:
>>Cortazar of course became famous for his 'Blow up' story (actually, "Las
>>babas del diablo") as filmed with Vanessa Redgrave.<<

When I was three and twenty
I heard a hip friend say:
Be sure you go see "Blow Up",
It will blow you away.

I did.  And it did.  Well, a little bit.  Probably just my amygdala.  But most
of the teachers with whom I was teaching at the time thought the film was
immoral, so I decided then and there that I liked it a whole lot.  In fact, I
decided to become a freelance photographer just like David Hemming.  And maybe
get a chance to take pictures of horny, nubile teens.  I bought the camera, but
the teens never showed up.   Some 40 years later I bothered to read the short
story -- hey! what the heck?  It wasn't anything like the movie.  Why did they
claim it was Cortazar's?  The short story was amazing.  IT did blow me away.
The film, though, well, you know, it was damn sexy.  Hard to decide.  But 40
years on, I find myself going for amazing.

Of Cortazar, I've only read the short stories in "End of the Game and Other
Stories", I've tried to get through Hopscotch several times and one day will
conquer it, but I love the short stories.

Mike Geary
Memphis