[lit-ideas] 11th ed of the Encyclopaedia Britannica

  • From: "Lawrence Helm" <lawrencehelm@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 3 Nov 2007 12:42:26 -0700

David,

On page 9 of The Life of the Mind, Hannah Arendt writes, "Sixty years ago,
the Encyclopaedia Britannica felt quite safe in treating 'metaphysics' as
philosophy 'under its most discredited name,' . . ."     I looked at the
article on "Metaphysics" in the 11th edition.   It is about 28 pages long.
I read the section on Kant, but noticed that Kant is referred to throughout
the article.   Since I am not presently willing to read the entire article
and since you are in the process of reading the 11th edition anyway, perhaps
when you get to volume 18 you can tell me if Arendt is quoting Kant
correctly.

Lawrence