[list_indonesia] Re: [ppiindia] Re: 'You can never be strong enough'

  • From: Carla Annamarie <Carla.Annamarie@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: ppiindia@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 23 Mar 2005 08:54:19 +0700

Dear Mba Ida,

referred to the below issue..,do the women's condition such decribed in the
story had gotta do with their religion..? how do u think..? bcs as u read
carefully what i stated earlier..it's abt of customs and traditions..so do
you think it's gotta do with Islam (as the basic religion) therefore u
related/or compared it with other religion such as christian n judaism..?
it's interesting..could you explain the basic of ur perspective..?

                                                                           =
                               =
=20
                      "Ida Z.A"                                            =
                               =
=20
                      <abidin_ida@yahoo        To:       ppiindia@yahoogrou=
ps.com                         =
=20
                      .com>                    cc:                         =
                               =
=20
                                               Subject:  [ppiindia] Re: 'Yo=
u can never be strong enough'=20=20=20
                      03/23/2005 08:37                                     =
                               =
=20
                      AM                                                   =
                               =
=20
                      Please respond to                                    =
                               =
=20
                      ppiindia                                             =
                               =
=20
                                                                           =
                               =
=20
                                                                           =
                               =
=20

Do christianity and judaism truly offer women a better treatment than
islam does?

i think, its not easy to search for and find answers (to these
difficult questions). the first difficulty is the one has to be fair
and objective.

--- In ppiindia@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, Carla Annamarie
<Carla.Annamarie@xxxx> wrote:

> i think in many middle east countries where they re bound with
customs and
> traditions which men is the ruler, the superior-being and women is
only
> men's property, women is a weaker being (inferior) not an equal
partner..,
> since childhood her rights re determined by her familly (Father and
> brothers), her familly will arrange her marriage with someone that
she's
> barely knew.., and after the married her husband is the sole
proprietor of
> her.., womens have a very fragile status, she's not protected under
law,
> bcs according to law her husband is her protector, so if she got
divorce,
> things becomes worse bcs socially she's an outcast from her familly
and her
> social community, dont ever think abt child support from the
husband..it's
> impossible, even she has to fight her right to keep her child..,
> if many of them works indecent job liked a belly dancer..bcs they
re lack
> or less opportunity for them for a good job..esp bcs they re a
divorcee..in
> spite of that i admire them..bcs despite of terrible things that
happened
> to them, they survived..
> perhaps they can never be strong enough to handle it by them
self..but in
> my point of view they can do better..they prove it that they really
can do
> better..without men..:))..
>

>                       "Ambon"

>                       <sea@xxxx>         To:       <Undisclosed-
Recipient:;>

cc:
>                       03/23/2005 02:45         Subject:
[ppiindia] 'You can never be strong enough'

AM

>                       Please respond

ppiindia

>        17 - 23 March 2005
>       Issue No. 734
>       Living
>
>       Published in Cairo by AL-AHRAM established in 1875
>

> http://weekly.ahram.org.eg/2005/734/li1.htm
>
>         'You can never be strong enough'
>         As the number of single mothers continues to rise, Serene
Assir
> listens to accounts of tragedy, hope and heroism

----
>                Click to view caption
>               Dina Sarhan explaining the fine points of cooking
>
>         Egyptian tradition is such that few things are worse than
being a
> single woman -- except, perhaps, being a single mother. And though
cases of
> unmarried women single-handedly raising children remain rare in
Egypt,
> those of divorced or widowed women bearing the economic, social and
> emotional brunt of parenthood are countless. Many take on the role
of both
> parents while the father moves in with a second wife, serves a
prison
> sentence, works abroad or completes up to three years of military
draft.

>         "Problems are particularly acute in the case of women
raising
> children in economically depressed areas," Mona Shadi, programme
> coordinator for the Association for the Development and Enhancement
of
> Women (ADEW) told Al-Ahram Weekly. "The women we reach out to often
lack
> all the basic guarantees to which the state entitles them. Many
cannot read
> or write, many others lack identity cards since they are registered
under
> the name of their former husbands, and thus they have no access at
all to
> the authorities -- never mind the ability to seek help."
>
>         "This world is a dirty place," 23-year-old Ashraqat, mother
of
> Shurouq, says with a mixture of fervour and despair. Ashraqat
discovered
> she was pregnant one month after signing her divorce papers,
following a
> brief but abusive stint of wedlock, during which her husband took
advantage
> of her economically even as he forced social restrictions on her.
Now, she
> lives in Cairo, having left her native village of Bilbis in the
Sharqiya
> district, but earns her living as a belly dancer in Hurghada
nightclubs,
> where she can work without the necessary documentation.
>
>         "I remember when he used to promise me we would make our
dreams
> come true," she told the Weekly. "Now I know the truth." (While we
have
> this conversation in a traditional coffee house, the owner shakes
his head
> at me disapprovingly, walking by; later he tells me off for sitting
with
> someone so "low").
>
>         Ashraqat went to school up to the age of 14, and was dancing
> professionally by 15. The man she loved came from a better-off
family, so
> when she was married she imagined she would no longer have to dance
(or
> otherwise employ her body) to make a living. "But my husband would
bring
> clients into the house, then take the money afterwards. I had
everything I
> could possibly want, I even had a really nice mobile phone, but he
took
> control of my life and made me do things I didn't want to do.
>
>         "By the time I discovered I was pregnant it was too late.
When I
> [...]
broadly
> relevant. "As a divorc=A8=A6e," she explains, "I am desired by many
men, because
> they know that I am not a virgin, and as a result they think I'm an
easy
> target. But everything I do," she pleads, "I swear, though I know
dancing
> is sinful -- I do it for Shurouq, so that when she grows up she has
all the
> things that I didn't have. I love her..."
>
>         Such an attitude of self-sacrifice is seen across the
board. It may
> be innate in all mothers, but it stands out with particular force
in those
> who undergo the most painful trials. "When the children's father
passed
> away," Um Sherif, 67, tells the Weekly, "my life was already
difficult
> enough. God, I had 14 children to take care of!" Eight were hers,
the rest
> her husband's -- by his first wife. "The youngest was just two
years old.
> Now," she says, "they all have homes of their own, and they are all
happy."

>         Um Sherif lives in a semi-agricultural area deep within one
of
> Cairo's poorer districts. She can neither read nor write, but three
of her
> sons are electronic engineers in the Gulf, and two work in
respectable
> businesses in Cairo.
>
>         Hers is an impressive case: She fought against all odds to
raise
> her children, and she managed extraordinarily well. A strong woman,
she is
> proud of her achievements. "I never accepted help from anyone. I
knew that
> if my children were to be happy, I would have to do it all by
myself. I
> thought of remarrying, but when I saw how prospective husbands
would seek
> to interfere in the upbringing of my children, I decided against
it."

>         But according to social perceptions, it is a misfortune for
a woman
> to remain unmarried. "Yes dear," Um Sherif says, defiantly, "but if
you
> listen to what people say, you'll find it impossible to breathe. I
learned
> this very early on in life. People love to interfere, but in order
> survive you must do what you feel is right."
>
>         That said, social prejudice cannot be ignored as a negative
factor
> in the lives of single mothers. "My sister is a teacher," Mervat
told the
> Weekly, "and has always been well-to-do. She divorced her husband
following
> an unhappy marriage, and brought up her son and daughter
comfortably,
> without experiencing pressure from anyone. It was her son who turned
> against her in the end -- once he married, he started despising her,
> cursing the fact that she chose to live independently."
>
>         Yet the principal problem seems to stem from an area beyond
the
> social, strictly speaking. A woman raising children on her own is a
woman
> without support in Egypt, and though this is increasingly
acceptable at the
> social level -- women gain in respect, particularly, as they grow
older --
> bureaucratic issues stand in the way of true emancipation. Tasks as
banal
> as renting a flat become a problem because business deals are
usually made
> with men. Registering a child under the mother's name remains
legally
> impossible.
>
>         "And now," Ashraqat says, about to set out for
Hurghada, "I've got

*****
> Berdikusi dg Santun & Elegan, dg Semangat Persahabatan. Menuju
Indonesia yg

*****

____
> Mohon Perhatian:
>
> 1. Harap tdk. memposting/reply yg menyinggung SARA (kecuali sbg
otokritik)
> 2. Pesan yg akan direply harap dihapus, kecuali yg akan dikomentari.
> 3. Lihat arsip sebelumnya, www.ppi-india.da.ru;
> 4. Satu email perhari: ppiindia-digest@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> 5. No-email/web only: ppiindia-nomail@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> 6. kembali menerima email: ppiindia-normal@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
>
> Yahoo! Groups Links

Lebih Baik, in Commonality & Shared Destiny. www.ppi-india.uni.cc
Mohon Perhatian:

3. Lihat arsip sebelumnya, www.ppi-india.da.ru;
4. Satu email perhari: ppiindia-digest@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
5. No-email/web only: ppiindia-nomail@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
6. kembali menerima email: ppiindia-normal@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Yahoo! Groups Links

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor --------------------~-->=20
Give the gift of life to a sick child.=20
http://us.click.yahoo.com/lGEjbB/6WnJAA/E2hLAA/BRUplB/TM

3. Lihat arsip sebelumnya, www.ppi-india.da.ru;=20
4. Satu email perhari: ppiindia-digest@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
5. No-email/web only: ppiindia-nomail@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx