[Linuxtrent] Re: media center silenzioso?

  • From: "Roberto Resoli" <roberto.resoli@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: linuxtrent@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 19 Sep 2008 22:01:45 +0200

Il 19/09/08, azazel<azazel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> ha scritto:
>     azazel>
> http://www.trovaprezzi.it/categoria.aspx?id=1&libera=MSI+TITAN&prezzomin=-1&prezzomax=-1
>
>     azazel>
> http://global.msi.com.tw/index.php?func=proddesc&maincat_no=134&cat2_no=&cat3_no=&prod_no=1452
>     azazel> quindi per conto mio è fin'ora il miglior candidato, resta
>     azazel> da accertare se ha a bordo un decoder mpeg2 hw e se è
>     azazel> possibile farlo funzionare con Linux.
>
>  dalla documentazione Via e dal sito openchrome.org, pare che il chipset
>  del Titan (CN700) abbia a bordo il decoder mpeg2 e che sia perfettamente
>  supportato dal driver Linux.

sulla carta sembra un'ottima macchina, purtroppo sembra che non sia
tutt'oro:  dice thomas hallstroem, uno degli sviluppatori di
openchrome:
http://wiki.openchrome.org/pipermail/openchrome-users/2006-October/002149.html
:
"I just got a chance to play around with a CN700 board.

Unfortunately it seems like VIA has used the same video core as the
Unichrome Pro group B series (The K8M800 / K8N800 chips), and all nice
features that were present on the CN400 seem to be gone.

This includes

    * Mpeg2 decoder AGP DMA capabilities. This means that mpeg data
      can't be queued up to the decoder and the processor has to wait
      for decoder ready. Gone is the small CPU usage and you will
      basically end up at 20% or so with a normal (SD) dvd.
    * Mpeg2 decoder HD capabilities. The hardware decoder is not capable
      of anything above 1024x1024. Smooth software decoding of HDTV
      using a via processor should probably not work very well either.

I'd say xvmc is more or less useless on this chip if the video player
has a good software mpeg2 decoder.
"

rob