[Linux-Discussion] Re: looking for good/easy Linux download

  • From: bobbya <bobbya@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: linux-discussion@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 16 Mar 2002 22:44:23 -0800

I hope I don't confuse you, maybe there may be an easier way. This I know.

You need a separate partition on your hard drive or a different hard drive in
order to install Linux on. You know what that means? I don't know if there are
any quick partition software user interfaces that are YOUR idea of what is a
simple way to, seamlessly
to the user and unknowingly to the user, partition your hard drive and install
Linux on it. I don't think there are any. I've been using
Linux since 1996, I've seen several versions of it, I've installed it several
times, and you have to start from scratch.

Your idea sounds great, the Linux people should use your idea. Anyway, Mandrake
is easier to install than Red Hat, and it is very similar to it.

On my system though, I have a separate hard drive with Linux on it, and the
other hard drive has Windows. Get the latest Mandrake version 8.1 I believe,
and follow it. Or you can buy a fat book on Red Hat that includes the CD. Read
the book to find out
what comes with the CD. Red Hat 7.2 comes with Star Office, so include it
during the installation process.

Robert