[Linux-Discussion] Re: looking for good/easy Linux download

  • From: "Damian Scott" <sdamian@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: linux-discussion@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 18 Mar 2002 08:19:32 -0800

RedHat 7.2 does include partitioning software during set up.  Instead of
spending $30 + for a Linux distro, I would go to www.cheapbytes.com and
pay around $10.

Damian Scott

"Be completely humble and gentle; be patient, bearing with one another in
love."

"S. Arif Khalid" <arif@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent by: linux-discussion-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
03/16/2002 11:38 PM
Please respond to linux-discussion

        To:     <linux-discussion@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
        cc:
        Subject:        [Linux-Discussion] Re: looking for good/easy Linux
download

Thanks Robert.  I know what partitioning is, but I was hoping that the
setup
program would walk me through that.  I'm getting discouraged from the
downloading option for two reasons:

1.  The download.com "download now" for Red Hat takes me to a list of
links
and each link takes me to an FTP directory tree.  I don't know what to
download.  It's taking time trying to figure that out.

2.  I have a 56K modem.  This could be painful, right?

The ftp tree for for Slackware looks reasonably easy to follow and the
README file looks helpful.  This might be a good reason to try this
distribution.  I'm not so interested in a fancy GUI -- I get that with
Windows.  I want a simple but powerful Linux implementation for two main
purposes.

1.  Run a specific application written for Linux to take advantage of dual
processors
(I'm getting a machine with 2 Athalon 1900+ processors)
2.  Compile Fortran programs with OpenGL

If the download/setup is not as simple as I wanted, I hope I can at least
find a step by step procedure telling which SPECIFIC files to download and
then what to do with them.  If I must partition manually, that's okay.  I
just would like specific instructions on when to do it and how.

Arif
S. Arif Khalid, Ph.D.
Streamline, Inc.
www.streamline-inc.com