[Linux-Discussion] Re: getting a software license for a linux app

  • From: ianezz@xxxxxxxxxx
  • To: linux-discussion@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 1 Jul 2002 13:15:01 +0200

S. Arif Khalid, in un'altra vita, ha scritto:

 > I presume that my selecting inet addr: 192.168.1.1 was arbitrary.
 > Is it a common default or something?

There are some ranges of IP addresses which are `private', i.e. they
are reserved for private use, and they are guaranteed not to be used
on any public network, so they are suitable for local networks.

Again, this is explained much better in the NET-HOWTO.

 > I'd like to use the licensed software on either my desktop or laptop.  Would
 > a 10/100 USB Network Adapter allow me to do this.  It is an external device
 > that plugs into the USB port and provides an ethernet connection.

Well, USB can do just 12Mbps at its best, so I'd say that an USB
network adapter is just a (cheap) kludge... USB 2 does better, though.

If you plan to use Linux on your laptop, a better choice would surely
be a PCMCIA network adapter (that should work flawlessly).

On the other hand, if you want to install that software on your
laptop, you'll need another license (different mac address). Or you
can use it remotely, connecting your desktop and your laptop and then
using telnet or ssh to log into your desktop.

--
_|_/  _\_|  _|____|___|___| http://www.linuxtrent.it