[Linux-Discussion] Re: getting a software license for a linux app

  • From: ianezz@xxxxxxxxxx
  • To: linux-discussion@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 14 Jun 2002 11:25:42 +0200

S. Arif Khalid, aggrappandosi alla tastiera per non cadere, ha scritto:

 > To issue a license, the folks at the software house have asked me
 > to provide information related to my network card.  Apparently, the
 > license key is linked to the network card, not the CPU.

As far as I know, it is common practice for proprietary software to
link licences of to the IP address or to the MAC addres of a network
adapter (in absence of other means of uniquely identify a machine).

 > I sent the output of the ifconfig command to them and they tell me
 > that it is doesn't appear that I have an network card.

Well, it just shows you didn't configure your onboard network
interface, but just the software loopback interface (`lo').

`lo' is the loopback interface, it's just a virtual interface used by
the machine to talk to itself. It is not useful for uniquely identify
a machine since it has always 127.0.0.1 as its IP address and no MAC
address.

Basically you need to load a kernel module appropriate for your
network card, and then assign an IP address (i.e. 192.168.0.1) to it.
The configuration software that comes with your Linux distribution
should make this a simple task.

After doing that, ifconfig will also show the configuration of the
``eth0'' interface, which is what the folks are interested to.

Btw, may I suggest you to read the Net-HOWTO at
http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/Net-HOWTO/index.html?

It's a really nice intro on IPv4 networking on Linux, a thing that it
doesn't hurt to know. :-)

--
_|_/  _\_|  _|____|___|___| http://www.linuxtrent.it