[Linux-Discussion] duh, I got 800x600 by reinstalling

  • From: David Bruce Jr <admin@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: linux-discussion@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 26 May 2001 07:17:41 -0400

umm, I couldn't find where in gnome to find a windows like place to
easily switch screen resolution from 1068x768 to 800x600
but I also didn't have much of anything on the box so I reinstalled...

lo and behold there was a place to configure X that I missed when I
informed Redhat about my monitor and vid card.

so I found it...umm, now instead of gnome, I got the text view...
I ran 'start x' and got KDE

how can I get gnome back (I don't yet know which one I like:)

Next question:

I chose to install as a workstation, not a server, does that mean I have
to install samba to view my windoze boxen?

The Redhat book assumes-
1. that I'm going to use a modem to get a dialup connection
2. it doesn't know I have a linksys swiching router on the lan...

According to my linksys admin browser screen, the ip address assigned to
the linux box is 192.168.1.102
it also has a hostname...

how can I view it from the windows box?
Do I have to enable something to share like I have to with win98 before the
linux
box is visible?

<hmm, now that I think about it>
The linksys is sharing the internet connection via TCP/IP and a NAT...
my lan is sharing files via netbui (also using the linksys as a hub??)

so will I have to add the netbui protocol to linuxconf (or other method) first
to be able to see the linux box in network neighborhood?

thanks
David Bruce Jr