[Linux-Discussion] Re: duh, I got 800x600 by reinstalling

  • From: David Bruce Jr <admin@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: linux-discussion@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 27 May 2001 05:23:45 -0400

Wow, thanks

 From my RTFM (I discovered the man pages within netscape...they say
file://whatever.html ) I found I could just type Xconfigurator and do stuff...

I also found that most anything I want to change/run could be done from
the console, assuming I knew the dos like unix commands.

I have been able to answer many of my questions by reading the book
that came with Redhat 7.0
it's Linux for dummies

Apparently by default redhat 7.0 workstation does not install inetd services
(or what ever it's called) because of the security problems of linux newbies
not knowing how to protect their boxes from the big bad internet.

How do I install samba?

Is it a rpm or something?

I see lots of stuff about editing /etc/whatever

Do I have to open a notepad equivalent to edit files?

Can I just edit them within the console? (I'll bet I can do both...)

You wrote:
"...*) rm the file ~/.xinitrc "

Do I have to add the *)
like I have to remove a # to uncomment a perl cgi script?

You wrote:
Is the term "Gut" a command like "grep" is a command?

Thanks for being so patient with me:)
David Bruce Jr