[Linux-Discussion] Re: Redhat Kernel downgrade

  • From: ianezz@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: linux-discussion@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 27 Aug 2002 19:24:19 +0200

Pare che Barbara Cobbina, in un momento di ispirazione, abbia scritto:

 > Why donty you guys just help a newbie and stop going
 > on like that ! All I needed was to upgrade or
 > downgrade a kernel, will anyone show me how ? and
 > where to get it?

To answer your questions:

1) To make a broad statment: everything is easy once one knows how to
   do it.  Learning how to do it may be not an easy job, and
   explaining how to do it in a concise manner is even an harder job
   (sometimes it is just impossible, and you just have to go through
   ALL that big pile of documentation in order to gain all the
   knowledge needed for doing a certain task).

2) Compiling and installing a new version of the Linux kernel requires
   some knowledge of UNIX systems, some knowledge of Linux systems,
   and some knowledge of the hardware it is going to run on.

   A document describing a step-by-step procedure to compile and
   install a Linux kernel may be found in the Kernel-HOWTO

      http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/Kernel-HOWTO.html

   this document explains the matter better that any message posted in
   a mailing list could do.

3) On the other hand, installing a precompiled kernel downloaded from
   your Linux distributor should be easier, since the distributor
   already made most of the choices for you.

   For Red Hat Linux there is a nice document describing in great
   detail the procedure at

      http://www.redhat.com/support/resources/howto/kernel-upgrade/

If, after reading this documentation, you have still doubts or find
points you don't understand, feel free to ask specific questions and
I'm sure someone will try to help you.

--
_|_/  _\_|  _|____|___|___| http://www.linuxtrent.it