[Linux-Discussion] Re: Re. Novell Mail Server

  • From: John Madden <weez@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: linux-discussion@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 11 Jun 2001 07:02:12 -0500

On Monday 11 June 2001 00:36, you wrote:
> Natanam,
>
> So then your Novell machine will not be connected to the internet
> anymore? You then want your Linux machine to be the mail
> server? My Linux machine is a web server, apache web server, it is also
> a mail server, but that is double the work. Usually
> a mail server machine does just that, i.e., one machine with one card
> does web serving, another machine with another card
> does the mail serving. The work load is divided. If you have a fast
> connection and not too much demand for uploading and a t1
> line, your machine can do both, i.e., not be overloaded with having to
> upload web files and email. Nowadays, everybody is
> requiring mail servers to upload all kinds of files, not just text, but
> video, audio, web pages with all kinds of images etc.

Yeah, but what kind of hardware do you have?  Keep in mind that if you're
running Linux =), you can do a lot of those things with one machine.

We send roughly 80,000 emails a day now, plus serve about 10k web pages,
and freelists.org isn't exactly a beefy box...

John

--
# John Madden  weez@xxxxxxxxxxxxx ICQ: 2EB9EA