[linux-cirrus] Re: new Cirrus Logic Linux release

  • From: chris mcharg <chris@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: linux-cirrus@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 1 Jun 2007 22:15:47 +0900

On 2007/05/31, at 17:48, Brian Austin wrote:

What kind of clarification do you need?

Yes, we used some of it, and removed some of it to suit our needs.
I.E.  We REALLY need DMA for IDE :-)

We use our own AlSA, FB, Ethernet, USB-Slave, DMA, NAND, IDE and what
not.

our future plans are to release code frequently and keep up to date by a
few minor versions the Linux kernel.

Thanks for that.
Looking forward to the continued updates.

Could you perhaps provide details on the reason for keeping Cirrus' ethernet driver instead of using mainline's?

I am not going to work with Lennert on this ARM920 port, we will submit our own ports for future chips like the 94XX when we get them back from
the fab and maintain them in the mainstream from the factory.

Lennert will maintain the 93XX and we will keep forward porting the
kernel and providing the patches for that chip.

Just reading the above, it sounds like the only reason you are not going to push for mainline is that you don't want to work with Lennert.

It seems to me that the process of getting board support into the main tree will always result in improved code quality. So you can add me to the list of people who would like you to do so.

Cheers,

Chris