[Linux-Anyway] Re: Update: Searched & searched for locale....

  • From: Horror Vacui <horrorvacui@xxxxxxx>
  • To: Linux-Anyway@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 8 Dec 2003 14:38:07 +0100

On Sat, 30 Jun 2018 23:45:11 -0700 (PDT)
Meph wrote:

>   Got it -- in my user, but not root account.
>
> >   I've been looking & looking for how to set my locale properly.
> > This is the output of local:
>
> > # locale
> > LANG=C
> > LC_CTYPE="C"
> > LC_NUMERIC="C"
> > LC_TIME="C"
> > LC_COLLATE="C"
> > LC_MONETARY="C"
> > LC_MESSAGES="C"
> > LC_PAPER="C"
> > LC_NAME="C"
> > LC_ADDRESS="C"
> > LC_TELEPHONE="C"
> > LC_MEASUREMENT="C"
> > LC_IDENTIFICATION="C"
> > LC_ALL=
>
> $ locale
> LANG=en_GB
> LC_CTYPE="en_GB"
> LC_NUMERIC="en_GB"
> LC_TIME="en_GB"
> LC_COLLATE="en_GB"
> LC_MONETARY="en_GB"
> LC_MESSAGES="en_GB"
> LC_PAPER="en_GB"
> LC_NAME="en_GB"
> LC_ADDRESS="en_GB"
> LC_TELEPHONE="en_GB"
> LC_MEASUREMENT="en_GB"
> LC_IDENTIFICATION="en_GB"
> LC_ALL=
>
>   Duh.  It's all in the .bashrc.  Once I'd created a .bashrc in
> root & added export LANG=en_GB, all was well...with local.

Please don't be offended by my saying this, but since sometimes the
obvious is obviously too obvious to be thought of: grep helps no end in
finding lots of variables. Whenever I'm puzzled as to where the hell
something gets set from, I do a recursive grep for it on /etc or $HOME.
I guess a "grep -r LANG /etc/*" would have put you on the right track
immediately.

Apropos env variables: those are often still a mystery to me. I can
vaguely remember hunting after stuff like $LD_LIBRARY_PATH and never
finding it, not in the running system nor in any config file, yet ld
always seemed to work flawlessly, which I imagine in case of an empty
$LD_LIBRARY_PATH it wouldn't. I have since thought that some of the
variables are set in a volatile fashion and deleted as soon as the
script setting them exits - which is quite a sound assumption, seeing
that I'm incapable of using a bash script to set variables permanently.

>   Anybody with money to burn will easily find someone to tend the
>   fire.

Hey! Nice quote.

Cheers

--