[Linux-Anyway] Update: Searched & searched for locale....

  • From: Meph Istopheles <meph@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Linux Anyway <Linux-Anyway@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 30 Jun 2018 23:45:11 -0700 (PDT)

  Got it -- in my user, but not root account.

>   I've been looking & looking for how to set my locale properly.
> This is the output of local:

> # locale
> LANG=C
> LC_CTYPE="C"
> LC_NUMERIC="C"
> LC_TIME="C"
> LC_COLLATE="C"
> LC_MONETARY="C"
> LC_MESSAGES="C"
> LC_PAPER="C"
> LC_NAME="C"
> LC_ADDRESS="C"
> LC_TELEPHONE="C"
> LC_MEASUREMENT="C"
> LC_IDENTIFICATION="C"
> LC_ALL=

$ locale
LANG=en_GB
LC_CTYPE="en_GB"
LC_NUMERIC="en_GB"
LC_TIME="en_GB"
LC_COLLATE="en_GB"
LC_MONETARY="en_GB"
LC_MESSAGES="en_GB"
LC_PAPER="en_GB"
LC_NAME="en_GB"
LC_ADDRESS="en_GB"
LC_TELEPHONE="en_GB"
LC_MEASUREMENT="en_GB"
LC_IDENTIFICATION="en_GB"
LC_ALL=

  Duh.  It's all in the .bashrc.  Once I'd created a .bashrc in
root & added export LANG=en_GB, all was well...with local.  Now,
just gotta figure out a few other things.

>   Also, Godwin, you'd once told me how to collate ls -al with
> dot files at the top.  I found that in the LA archive, but
> after I'd entered the export LANG=en_GB in .bashrc, my sort's
> all wacky.

  This one's still beyond me.  I think it was actually on the
Linux@Yahoo list, but I couldn't find it in the archives.

--
  Anybody with money to burn will easily find someone to tend the
  fire.