[Linux-Anyway] Searched & searched for locale....

  • From: Meph Istopheles <Meph@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Linux Anyway <Linux-Anyway@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 30 Jun 2018 16:52:17 -0700 (PDT)

  I've been looking & looking for how to set my locale properly.
This is the output of local:

# locale
LANG=C
LC_CTYPE="C"
LC_NUMERIC="C"
LC_TIME="C"
LC_COLLATE="C"
LC_MONETARY="C"
LC_MESSAGES="C"
LC_PAPER="C"
LC_NAME="C"
LC_ADDRESS="C"
LC_TELEPHONE="C"
LC_MEASUREMENT="C"
LC_IDENTIFICATION="C"
LC_ALL=

  Previous distros bave either en_US or en_GB (my preferred
language), but I can't find a command which fixes this.  It may
even correct my keyboard problem.

  I've entered LANG=pl_PL.iso-8859-2 in my ~/.bash_profile for
Polish support, & export LANG=en_GB in ~/.bashrc for language,
but locale is still screwed.

  Also, Godwin, you'd once told me how to collate ls -al with dot
files at the top.  I found that in the LA archive, but after I'd
entered the export LANG=en_GB in .bashrc, my sort's all wacky.

  What's up with this?  Is this all normal for slack?

  Meph

--
  All this wheeling and dealing around, why, it isn't for money,
  it's for fun.  Money's just the way we keep score.