[liblouis-liblouisxml] Re: running liblouis on flash memory

  • From: Simon Aittamaa <simon.aittamaa@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: liblouis-liblouisxml@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 11 Sep 2015 10:05:03 +0200

Ok, should probably look into FAT LS[1] which is available under GPLv2.

You should be aware that since you're running FreeRTOS you're probably
going to need to modify the liblouis code-base just to get it
compiling. So the fact that liblouis expects that you read the table
from a file is really the least of your concerns (just a fair
warning!).

Best,
Simon

[1]
http://www.freertos.org/FreeRTOS-Plus/FreeRTOS_Plus_FAT_SL/FreeRTOS_Plus_FAT_SL.shtml)

On 11 September 2015 at 08:33, Ritika Gupta
<ritika.gupta@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

My hardware specifications are:
128 KB RAM
8 Mb flash size
100 MHz controller (Cortex M4 based)
OS: Free RTOS (not Linux)

So, which file system would you suggest for these specs?

On 11-09-2015 AM 11:56, Simon Aittamaa wrote:

8MB is enough to hold a Linux installation, so I would recommend
looking into that if your processor is supported (and you have enough
RAM).

If you decide to run Linux I would recommend looking into JFFS2 since
it supports compression, you could also look at UBIFS, which is the
new kid on the block and it looks really interesting (also supports
compression)!

-- Simon

On 11 September 2015 at 08:01, Ritika Gupta
<ritika.gupta@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

On 11-09-2015 AM 09:15, Ritika Gupta wrote:

On 10-09-2015 PM 08:42, Christian Egli wrote:

On 09/10/2015 09:21 AM, Ritika Gupta wrote:

I wan to use liblouis for my own braille display device which has
flash
memory. But the liblouis source code is written in such a way that it
uses file system for loading table files but the file system is not
present on flash memory. So is there a way I can use liblouis on my
flash memory by using tables in some other form and not the files.

Changing liblouis to read from memory might be doable but it almost
seems
easier to put a file system on flash memory, see
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flash_file_system it seems doable.

HTH
Christian

Actually liblouis is a very small part of my project and putting file
system on memory may take a large amount of space which could otherwise
be
used for putting other parts of my entire project's code. While I am
still
considering this option of putting file system on flash, could you
please
also guide me through how to change liblouis to read from memory.

Thanks
Ritika
project pages go to http://liblouis.org

Also I would like to ask if using file system like YAFFS feasible on my 8
MB
flash memory ?