[liblouis-liblouisxml] Re: present_progressive.c test

  • From: James Teh <jamie@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: liblouis-liblouisxml@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 24 Aug 2009 08:04:01 +1000

Hi Christian,

This test was committed by Eitan. I just took another look at it to refresh my memory.

You've certainly identified the crux of the test. However, the reason for its failure is a little tricky to explain. Note that I think this used to fail worse than it does now. The current situation isn't hugely critical, though probably still incorrect.

There are two key portions of the string: the "ing" (which gets contracted to one character) and the double space at the end. When translated, you get:
"greetings  " -> "greet+s "
Notice that the translation also contracts the double space into a single space.

With regard to cursor position, compbrlAtCursor is set, which means that the word encompassed by the cursor will be uncontracted (computer braille). This means that if the cursor is anywhere within "greetings", the translated output will also be "greetings", so the cursor positions are identical up to the end of the s (position 8).

It gets more interesting at position 9 (the first space). Now, greetings gets contracted, so the output cursor position becomes 7. Still correct so far.

Position 10 (the second space) is the problem. Because compbrlAtCursor is set, the current word should probably be expanded. In this case, it is just a space. However, the two spaces are still compressed into one, even though the second should have been expanded. The translation has still contracted the second space, even though it should have stopped contracting at the cursor.

Hope this makes some sense.

Jamie

On 12/08/2009 12:02 AM, Christian Egli wrote:
Hi all

I'm trying to understand the present_progressive test in the liblouis
test suite (since it is the only one failing).

It seems to translate the string "greetings  " and compare the cursor
positions that are returned by lou_translate with a given set of cursor
positions.

The test seems mostly relevant to screen readers so maybe the nvda
people may know more about this test, its correctness and relevance.

Can anyone enlighten me why this test is failing and what can be done to
fix this?

James Teh
Email/MSN Messenger/Jabber: jamie@xxxxxxxxxxx
Web site: http://www.jantrid.net/