[liblouis-liblouisxml] Re: liblouisxml Documentation

  • From: Christian Egli <christian.egli@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: liblouis-liblouisxml@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 04 Feb 2009 10:59:25 +0100

Hi

On Tue, 2009-02-03 at 05:34 -0600, John J. Boyer wrote:
> I've been looking at liblouisxml-guide.texi, and I see a lot of small
> errors, most of which are mine, and a lot of things that need updating.

I just did an update to liblouisxml-guide.texi with some small typo
fixes and the addition of a new section called "Semantic Actions in
detail". I used this section to describe the semantic actions
individually. For instance the notranslate action has been documented
this way. I would appreciate it if you could have a look at this new
section.

> The table-of-contents feature is sufficiently complex that it should be
> documented in a section of its own. This might be a subsection of a
> section called "Special Features." Another subsection might be an
> explanation of the liblouisxml style sheet.

Yes, the toc feature has not been documented yet. You sent some text a
while ago and I didn't know where to put it. I'll give it a try before
lunch.

> I've received hints that the documentation of both liblouis and
> liblouisxml is so technical that it scares ordinary users, including
> braille transcribers. I can't see how it could be made less technical
> and still be useful, but that's probably because I'm a programmer.
> Anyway, at some point we will want to have separate user's and
> programmer's manuals.

Hehe, I also think that it is a fairy technical document. I think one
thing that we could do is more the "Programming with ..." sections to
the back and have the stuff for transcribers come first. This is a
fairly easy change and could maybe help to get less people scared
away :-)

Swiss Library for the Blind and Visually Impaired