[liblouis-liblouisxml] Re: always & sign etc

  • From: "Paul Wood (Torch)" <paulw@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: liblouis-liblouisxml@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 06 Dec 2012 10:09:34 +0000

John, I have confirmed that it is the same dot pattern for the contraction "the", but I'm told that because the @ is used in an email address which should be uncontracted, then it is correct and won't be confused with the contraction "the". this is SEB and UEB is different in this case. Thanks for checking, as this level of Braille is beyond me, but I have a very qualified braille expert I rely on, but that doesn't mean "I" don't make mistakes!

Can I just double check that I've understood it?
A character needs a definition opcode and then can be used in a translation opcode.
Thanks
Paul

On 04/12/2012 20:16, John J. Boyer wrote:
My poiknt is simp[[ly that the always opcode does not define a
character. Dot patterns should be defined with a character-definition
opcode. The line

always @ 2346

is curious. This is the dot pattern for the contraction for "the". Why
was it put in?

Table file names are a mess. Straightening them out would break backward
compatibility.

John

On Tue, Dec 04, 2012 at 11:24:56AM +0000, Paul wood wrote:
I've changed the Subject as I was misleading people into thinking I was
referring to UEB, Sorry!

I'm working on the SEB (GB) tables we are using.

John wrote:

"First, the @ (at sign) should not be "defined" with the always opcode.
This is not a definition. Characters are defined with
character-definition opcodes. In this case the correct opcode would be
sign or punctuation. The definition should be in en-ueb-g2.ctb Search
for the actual @ character in a text editor."

I have found:
sign @ 2346
in  "ukchardefs.cti" (Note: is it possible to keep to some sort of standard
for naming tables. sometimes uk, sometimes gb and also en-ueb.cti etc.)
which is included in "en-gb-g1.utb" which it's self has:
always @ 2346
which is included in "en-GB-g2.ctb"

So am I to understand, John, that the opcode in "en-gb-g1.utb" (always @
2346) is superfluous?
Is this also true of all the other characters already defined in
"ukchardefs.cti" which are in "en-gb-g1.utb"?

Thanks
Paul

On 04/12/2012 12:42 AM, Greg Kearney wrote:
Should not the at sign @ be 4-1 in UEB and not 2346?

Gregory Kearney | Manager Accessible Media
Association for the Blind of WA - Guide Dogs WA
PO Box 101, Victoria Park WA 6979 | 61 Kitchener Ave, Victoria Park WA 6100
Tel: 08 9311 8246 | Fax: 08 9361 8696 | www.guidedogswa.com.au
Tel: 307-224-4022 (North America)
Email: greg.kearney@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Email: gkearney@xxxxxxxxx

Everyone has the right to freedom of opinion and expression; this right
includes freedom to hold opinions without interference and to seek,
receive and impart information and ideas through any media and regardless
of frontiers.
Article 19 of the UN Universal Declaration of Human Rights

On 04/12/2012, at 1:32 AM, Paul wood <paulw.torchtrust@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Sorry not to be answering your question here, but to do with testing
tables etc. Is there a way to know where a particular translation rule is
being obeyed from? To solve this problem we have:
We want the @ sign to be 2346 etc. we check the table we presume it
should be in and it is defined as always @ 2346 so presumably something
else is interceding. Is there a way without systematically  going through
the tables to find the command which is overriding this one?
Thanks
Paul

On 03/12/2012 4:21 PM, John J. Boyer wrote:
Now that the UEB tables are in the liblouis svn we can test both
translation and back-translation. The best tool for this is
lou_allround, which is available if you have built liblouis on Linux or
Mac. It is completely interactive. After you give it a table name you
can type r for run and then type in anything you want. It will show both
the translation and back-translation and will even tell you if the
back-translation matches the original by displaying the message "perfect
roundtrip!"

If there is sufficient demand this facility can be made available on
Windows through a BrailleBlaster subcommand.

Paulw.torchtrust signature

Paul Wood, Technical Services Leader
*Torch Trust*
Torch House, Torch Way,
Market Harborough, Leics. LE16 9HL, UK
Direct Line: *+44(0)1858 438269*
Tel: *+44(0)1858 438260*, Fax: *+44(0)1858 438275*
Email: paulw@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx <mailto:paulw@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Website: www.torchtrust.org <http://www.torchtrust.org/>

Chief Executive: Dr Gordon Temple
Charity No. 1095904

If you are not the intended recipient please destroy this message
and kindly notify the sender by reply email. The computer from which
this mail originates is equipped with virus screening software.
However Torch Trust cannot guarantee that the mail and its attachments
are free from virus infection.