[liblouis-liblouisxml] Re: Unicode encoding of tables

  • From: Mesar Hameed <mesar.hameed@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: liblouis-liblouisxml@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 8 Jun 2012 14:15:55 +0100

On Fri 08/06/12,14:01, Michael Whapples wrote:
> I believe it might be that the encoding of the file should be UTF-8.
> Therefore if it is encoded using something like latin1 and contains a
> character above 128 it will need to be re-encoded into UTF-8.

Yes, exactly.

> May be I have got it wrong, using escape sequences have the advantage they
> can be typed easily regardless of keyboard layout, but they can
> make it harder to read (I am split on that one as to which I prefer).

liblouis commands should all be in ascii at the moment, so those beyond 127
should be represented with \xABCD.
The file itself should be utf-8 encoded, so that names, comments etc can be
written in a natural way.
These two statements are distinctly different and we need to make sure table
writers dont confuse the matter, which seems to have happend with
the broken tables.

Thanks,
Mesar