[liblouis-liblouisxml] SV: chardefs.cti, confused

  • From: Bue Vester-Andersen <bue@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <liblouis-liblouisxml@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 3 Feb 2015 18:15:48 +0100

Hi,

I am not an expert on this, but as far as I know, the following applies,
especially for back-translation:

1. The longer definition wins.
I.e. "always ed 1246" would take precedence over "always $ 1246".

2. If both definition have the same length, the first definition wins.
So, if you have "sign $ 1246" and "sign <something else> 1246", then 1246 will
always back-translate as $.

3. For definition of single characters, the Character definition itself
implicitly wins over any subsequent "always" opcodes, as it has to come first.

Concerning included files, I suppose they are included at the place where the
include statement occurs. So, if opcodes in an included file take precedence, I
would think it is because you generally make include statements near the top of
a file. For the same reason, I include the braillecodes.cti file at the bottom
of my character definitions. Otherwise, everything will back-translate to
Unicode Braille symbols (u+2800-u+28ff).

Where there might be any ambiguity, perceived or real, I would recommend the
use of "noback" and "nofor". This is also a good idea if you use opcodes like
"correct", "context" and pass2 etc. Apparently, these opcode have not yet been
implemented for back-translation, and so their behaviour is probably not
predictable.

HTH Bue