[liblouis-liblouisxml] Re: Request for anyone interested in helping sighted persons read braille

  • From: Bert Frees <bertfrees@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "liblouis-liblouisxml@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <liblouis-liblouisxml@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 8 Aug 2015 12:07:55 +0200

Your answer is in the article.

I have a question for you however. In your example you give the sentence
"Can you read this?" in ASCII Braille: ,C Y R1D ?8 so in your system you
have a letter which is the word "this" where ASCII Braille would use the
question mark (?)

my question is what do you do then you have a word there the th sign is
used? for example: "thick woods" which would be as follows in ASCII
braille: ?ick woods now the question mark is just th and not this, how does
your font know then to replace question mark with the this letter and when
to use the th letter?

On Aug 7, 2015, at 6:04 PM, Susan Jolly <easjolly@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

About a dozen years ago I got the idea that it would be easier for
sighted people like me to proofread braille if there was a special font
that displayed the local meaning of each braille cell. I actually
persuaded a font developer to develop such a font, which I called
DotlessBraille, for English literary braille. However, I could never find
anyone sufficiently interested in this idea to persue it.

Now that BrailleZephyr has side-by-side windows that allow a user to
enter braille using either six-key entry or full keyboard entry it reminded
me of my old idea. What BrailleZephyr does at the moment is to synchronize
the display of braille cells using a simulated braille font in one window
with the corresponding display of ASCII braille using a plain text font in
the other window. This has at least two advantages. One is that it
supports optional full keyboard entry of braille for people, like me, who
prefer this method to six-key entry. The other is that it can be tiring to
read simulated braille visually since the visual system seems to prefer
connected figures. Of course, in either case, the reader still has to know
all the different context-dependent meanings of the braille cells. ASCII
braille has only 63 different characters just as six-dot braille does.

DotlessBraille, in contrast to ASCII braille, displays the print
equivalent of contracted braille in a one-to-one correspondence with
simulated braille. Of course this requires various special glyphs including
some that look as though several print letters have been squashed
together. Unfortunately the font is not magic. It requires extra
information that has either been saved during autoamted forward translation
or acquired via real-time backtranslation.

Here's a sample and an article with more details.
http://www.dotlessbraille.org/screencap.htm

If there is anyone on this list who'd like to persue the use of
DotlessBraille in Braille Zephyr I'd love to hear from you. I also welcome
feedback of all sorts.